Certain actions that you perform on your Mac will cause default apps to open. For example, clicking a document may open Pages. But what if you want Microsoft Word to open instead? You can also set your default web browser and email reader.
- Apr 23, 2018 Change Your Mac Default Apps: Web Browser Change your Mac’s default web browser in the General pane of System Preferences. In the General pane, click the drop-down menu next to “Default web browser” and choose your desired default browser. Again, some non-browser applications might pop up.
- Mac - Set Default Application for PDFs This document covers how to set different applications to open PDF files in macOS. By default, macOS has Preview the built in PDF reader open and render all PDFs.
- Jul 26, 2018 Change your default email app. Choose Preferences from the Mail menu, then click General. Or, if you're prompted to set up an email account, add your account, then choose. Choose your email app from the ”Default email reader” pop-up menu.
How to change the default Mac app for specific file types
If you want to change the default application again or change it back to the previous application, just go through these steps again. Next Up: Check out these related slideshows 30 free macOS apps.
- Right-click on a file that uses the file type you'd like to change the default for. For example, one with a .jpg extension (a photo).
- Click on Get Info in the pop-up.
- Click Open With if the section isn't already expanded.
Click the dropdown and choose an app.
- Click Change All...
Click Continue when the Finder asks you if you're sure.
Now any time you open a file with that extension, the Finder will automatically open it with the app you've selected.
How to set your default web browser
- Launch System Preferences from the dock, Finder, or by clicking the Apple icon in the Menu bar.
- Click General at the top left of the window.
- Click the dropdown next to Default web browser.
Click the web browser you'd like to use as the default.
How to set your default email reader
Mail is likely the default email app on your Mac, but just in case you have others downloaded, you can set the default reader. Here's how:
- Launch Mail from your dock or the Finder.
- Click Mail in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Click Preferences.
- Click the dropdown next to Default Mail Reader.
Click the app you'd like to set as the default.
Let us know in the comments below.
Mac Change Default Program
Updated February 2020: Updated for macOS Catalina!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.We are open
Apple Sanlitun, Apple's newest store in China, is opening today
Apple has announced that its newest retail store, Apple Sanlitun in Bejing, is opening to customers in the area later today.
Set Default Program In Mac Os
This article explains how you can set different applications to open PDF files on your Mac. Your Mac has a built-in PDF reader to open and render all of your PDFs on your Mac. This default application is called Preview. Following the instructions below, you can easily set your preferred application (such as Adobe Acrobat Reader) as the default application for opening PDF files. If you are unhappy with the results, again using the instructions below, then you may set the default PDF viewer in macOS back to Preview.
See also: Preview: The File Couldn’t Be Opened, Fix
Sometimes, Mac users accidentally make other applications as the default PDF reader and want to restore Preview as the default. Sometimes, Mac updates may cause issues with the default PDF reader. This article may help you resolve these issues.
See also: Can’t Open PDF On iPhone Or iPad, Fix
Setting your preferred app as the default PDF reader in macOS
For this article, we will set Preview as the default. Here is how:
1. Select any PDF file on your Mac.
2. Right-click (or Control-Click) the document. This will reveal a menu.
3. Select Get Info. This will a new window: (You can also open this info window by selecting the document and clicking the Command I keys.)
4. Find the Open With section. If the section is closed, click on the arrow next to it to expand.
5. You will see a pull-down menu. Open the menu and find and select Preview. (If your preferred app is not in the list, choose Other. This will let you choose your app from your applications.)
6. Once you select your application, such as Preview, click the “Change All” button to have this application to open all PDF documents.
7. A popup will appear saying “Are you sure you want to change all similar documents to open with the application “Preview”? This change will apply to all documents with extension “.pdf”. Click the blue Continue button to confirm.
And you are done.
See also: PDF Won’t Open: “Please Wait…” Message, How To Open